Double Time Distribution logo
Essity logo

Match Report

Flint come out on top in 7 goal thriller

Airbus UK Broughton
Flint Town United
Airbus UK Broughton
Flint Town United
Flint progressed to the second round of the WBS League Cup, and in doing so inflicted a first defeat of the season on Flintshire rivals, Airbus. The Silkmen always looked to be in control, but the dogged Wingmakers stayed in the contest and pushed them all the way.
After a to and fro opening 10 minutes, Flint struck the opening goal on 11 minutes through Rhys Kavanagh, with an excellent effort. He picked the ball up some 20 yards out from goal, saw his chance and chipped the keeper, using his weaker foot.
Boosted by that, Flint tried to push on, and on the quarter of an hour mark Kavanagh was at the centre of things once again, as he cleverly set up Elliott Reeves, who despite rounding the keeper wasn’t able to apply the finish.
It was all Flint at this stage, as Harley Peagram used his pace to good effect and broke down the wing, but his ball into the box couldn’t quite find Kavanagh.
Joe Beswick, making his debut in goal for the Silkmen was called upon just after the half hour mark as Airbus threatened through Jake Eyre on the right wing, and he produced a smart save to keep out the effort. Then Anthony Stephens had to put his body on the line as he intercepted a shot from 8 yards out to keep his side’s lead intact.
Flint went into the break with a well deserved advantage, but were caught napping 4 minutes into the second period when ex-Silkmen Joe Palmer equalised at the back post from a corner.
The Wingmakers then had a couple of further chances to go into the lead. First Palmer forced Beswick into an excellent save, then a mix up between the two Lacey brothers allowed the ball to bounce through to Eyre, but he dragged his shot wide of the target.
The away side made the most of this let-off and re-established the lead through Peagram, following a lovely passage of play. Stephens played the ball out to Joe Williams, who controlled in beautifully, before guiding it into the path of Jake Phillips, who coolly squared the ball to the advancing Peagram who netted his fourth of the season.
Shortly after, Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro was introduced into the action, and he didn’t take long to stamp his mark on the game.
On 73 minutes, he broke through to round Airbus keeper Keighan Jones to make it 3-1.
But the comfortable two goal cushion was short lives, as just two minutes later, Airbus responded as Sam Baker got in behind the Flint defence to reduce the deficit, firing into the bottom right corner.
It was becoming a bit like a basketball match now, as Flint went down the other end and scored to make it 4-2 on 75 minutes. Akpa-Akpro the provider this time, as he threaded the ball through to Josh Jones, who kept his composure to bury the ball into the corner of the net.
Just as Flint thought they were home and hosed, Airbus struck again in added time through skipper Steve Tomassen to bring it back to 4-3. But there was no further drama, and the Silkmen secured their place in the hat for the next round.

Line Ups :
Airbus UK Broughton – K. Jones, C. Lindfield, K. Evans, S. Tomassen (c), J. Palmer, T. McManus, R. Edwards, S. Rickett (S. Baker 70), J. Evans, J. Eyre (B. Knight 79), G. Peers (W. Gordon 80). Unused Subs – L. Dutton (GK), E. Orton
Flint Town United – J. Beswick, L. Lacey, S. Forde, A. Stephens (c), P. Lacey, B. Hughes (J. Phillips 46), R. Kavanagh, J. Owen, H. Peagram (J. Jones 69), E. Reeves (J-L Akpa-Akpro 65), J. Williams Unused Subs – R. Williams (GK), M. Roberts

Flint MOM – Rhys Kavanagh (a tireless display in the sapping heat)