Double Time Distribution logo
Essity logo

Match Report

Flint get back onto the front foot

Flint Town United
Bangor 1876
Flint Town United
Bangor 1876
Flint responded to their disappointing result in their last outing in exactly the right manner, with a sure footed display against potentially tricky opponents Bangor 1876. And but for some profligate finishing by the home side, the final scoreline could, and should, have been far more convincing.
Notice was served by the Silkmen after just five minutes, when Elliott Reeves produced good work down the left side. He made inroads into the area, before doing well to hold the ball up, waiting for support, before perfectly teeing up Ben Hughes on the six yard line, who only had Huw Shaw, in the Bangor goal, to beat. However, Shaw spread himself well and kept out the shot from the Flint midfielder, who wasted the opportunity to give his side the lead.
On the quarter of an hour mark, Josh Jones received the ball down the middle, and deftly flicked it over Shaw, who had raced out to meet him, but as Jones went to follow it in, the ball was cleared off the line. A few minutes later, and the breakthrough was made, courtesy of a spot kick. Reeves found Jones, who once more found himself through on goal, only to be bundled over by Shaw in an untidy challenge, as he came out to try and claim the ball. Jones got up and confidently converted the penalty.
Just after the half hour mark, Hughes produced a wonderful defence splitting ball to set Jones away once more. However, the Flint forward pushed his shot just wide of the upright from a great position.
A minute later, though, a swift counter from Flint doubled their advantage. Reeves received the ball near the halfway line, and swept it out to the right into the path of Jones. As Jones made progress down the flank, Reeves hared down the middle and was in prime position to receive the ball and tap home when Jones centred it.
Shaw distinguished himself with a good save on 38 minutes, when Jones once again broke the Bangor defensive line, and was denied in a one on one situation.
With almost the final act of the first half. Bangor were awarded a vital lifeline, when Paddy Lacey handballed on the edge of the area to concede a penalty. Corrig McGonigle tucked away the spot kick to make it 2-1 at the interval.
Flint were unphased by this setback, and came out strong in the second half, spurred on by Hughes and Jake Phillips in the midfield area. On 48 minutes, Phillips stood over a free kick and sent in a powerful shot that Shaw had to punch over his bar.
The two goal lead was restored in the 55th minute, following some great footwork by Reeves in the area, as he kept control of the ball in a tight space, before pulling it back to Jones who slotted home.
Jones might have claimed his hat-trick seven minutes later, as for the second time in the afternoon he beat the onrushing Shaw to the ball, and lifted it over him, only to see his shot cleared from in front of the goal-line, this time it was Cai Roberts who was on hand to deny him.
Flint’s fourth goal arrived on 75 minutes, and was a beautifully worked move. Hughes showed great perseverance to win the ball back in a forward area, and charged forward on the right side, before showing good presence of mind to play the ball back into the path of the supporting Phillips, who delivered a sublime first time cross right onto the head of Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro, who forcefully headed home.
Roared on by their impressive support, Bangor never gave up, and could have pulled one back on 78 minutes. Mason Blackwell-Jones, who was having a tidy game for the visitors, won possession in the midfield, and fed Harry Galeotti in space, who homed in on goal. Rhys Williams got in a great block with his body to deny the Bangor player. However, they did reduce the arrears with five minutes remaining, as they were awarded their second penalty of the game. It came amidst some confusion, following a bit of a mix up in the box with Flint making a meal of trying to clear the ball. Eventually, what looked a perfectly well judged tackle sent the ball out for a corner, which the linesman seemed to confirm by flagging and pointing to the quadrant. But at the same time as he was doing that, the referee was blowing and pointing to the spot, indicating a penalty. For the second time of the afternoon, McGonigle took responsibility and converted to bring the score back to 4-2.
However, an unlikely last gasp comeback was never really on the cards, and Flint held firm to see out the remainder of the match.

Report by Nigel Sheen. Photos by Steve Parker (All Sport Media). For full gallery go to

Line Ups:
Flint Town United – R. Williams, J. Phillips, S. Forde, A. Stephens (c), L. Sirrell, P. Lacey (M. Roberts 76), L. Lacey (M. Burke 76), B. Hughes, E. Reeves, B. Wynne (J-L Akpa-Akpro 54), J. Jones (H. Peagram 72). Unused Subs – L. Murphy (GK), J. Williams, D. Harrison
Bangor 1876 – H. Shaw, C. Roberts, J. Culshaw (c), I. Hughes, C. Jones, T. Mahoney, M. Blackwell-Jones, H. Galeotti (D. Jones 12), D. Davies (C. Whelan 62), C. McGonigle, S. Jones (L. Morris 49). Unused Sub – C. Jones (GK)

Flint MOM – Ben Hughes (a classy performance from the youngster who just edges it ahead of Elliott Reeves and Sol Forde, both of whom were also strong contenders)