Double Time Distribution logo
Essity logo

Match Report

Flint hit 4 at Nantporth

Bangor 1876
Flint Town United
Bangor 1876
Flint Town United
Flint’s players ensured a Merry Christmas for their supporters when they signed off with a comprehensive win at Bangor, stretching their winning run of consecutive league matches to seven, and remaining unbeaten n the league so far this season after thirteen games. They trail league leaders Airbus by three points but do have three games in hand on the Wingmakers.
Bangor were first to threaten on the night, when Craig Whelan headed narrowly wide following a corner kick by Corrig McGonigle.
Shortly afterwards at the other end, Luis Lacey sent in a powerful low shot from 20 yards that home keeper Carl Jones saved at the second attempt. The visitors then menaced from a series of long throw-ins and corners but the Bangor defence initially held firm.
Halfway through the opening period, though, the Silkmen took the lead. Jake Phillips swung in a corner from the left which deceived everyone and dropped in at the far post.
Just after the half hour mark, Flint increased their lead when skipper Jay Owen scored following a quickly taken corner.
Ten minutes before the break, Bangor had a chance to reduce the deficit when the ball was worked across to Cai Powell-Roberts on the right side of the penalty area but his rising shot went over the bar.
Just before the break, Gethin Thomas had a shot from 25 yards out that took a deflection but was saved by Josh Tibbetts.
Inside the opening minute of the second period, Flint clinically extended their advantage. Elliott Reeves broke down the left, cut inside, and then fired a fine curling shot past Jones.
Bangor came close to getting a goal back following a corner from half-time substitute Sion Edwards when a Flint defender almost found his own net, but the ball was cleared to safety.
Bangor conceded a penalty just before the hour mark, when Whelan made a mistimed challenge inside the box. Josh Jones stepped up to convert and make it 4-0, shooting low into the corner.
With six minutes remaining, Bangor grabbed a consolation, when Joe Culshaw flighted a long ball into the box and McGonigle scored with a diving header.

Match details courtesy of Grassroots North Wales (

Line Ups :
Bangor 1876 – Carl. Jones, C. Roberts, D. Cox, Corey Jones (S. Edwards 45), I. Hughes, T. Clarke (c), G. Thomas, J. Culshaw, S. Jones, C. McGonigle, C. Whelan. Unused Subs – J. Sullivan, L. Morris, B. Owen, B. Heald, M. Johnston
Flint Town United – J. Tibbetts, J. Phillips (B. Hughes 47), J. Williams (M. Roberts 88), A. Stephens, S. Forde, P. Lacey, L. Lacey, J. Owen (c), E. Reeves (H. Peagram 65), J. Jones, J-L Akpa-Akpro. Unused Subs – L. Murphy (GK), D. Harrison, G. Maire, H. Cartwright

Flint MOM – Jay Owen (controlled the midfield with and without the ball)