Double Time Distribution logo
Essity logo

Match Report

Four-midable Flint maintain their title chase

Prestatyn Town
Flint Town United
Prestatyn Town
Flint Town United
Flint took full advantage of the blustery conditions at Bastion Gardens to take their goal tally to 17 in the last three games and keep up the pressure at the top of the table.
Playing with the strong winds at their backs in the first half, they played to the conditions, and established a three goal lead at the break. In the second period, they played much more controlled football, denying their opponents any decent possession and chances, and made the game safe with a fourth goal.
The very strong wind in the opening 45 minutes, which was blowing in gusts, made conditions extremely difficult for both sides, but even more so for Prestatyn who had it blowing down the pitch in their faces. Flint had to adapt their game to suit, and looked to play the ball over the top of the Prestatyn back line wherever possible, as well as maintaining a high press and forcing corners, tactics which yielded them the desired results.
The Silkmen claimed the opening goal with 12 minutes on the clock. Elliott Reeves surged down the right and looked to provide a cross for his strike partner Josh Jones. The ball took a deflection off a backtracking Prestatyn defender and ended up in the far corner of the net, with goalkeeper Joe Lawlor helpless.
Flint then sought to capitalise on their early advantage and had Prestatyn pinned back in their own half for long periods. Numerous ball were playerd into the box, but to their credit the home side defended manfully, often getting vital interceptions and blocks to keep the visitors out.
On one of their rare forays into the opposition half, the Seasiders did carve out a good chance on 25 minutes, after attacking down the Flint left. Will McKinley got into a good shooting position, but Sol Forde did well to get across and block his effort just in front of the goal line, the ball running free to Matt Pleavin, who from a tight angle lifted it over the bar.
Following that chance, the onslaught on the Prestatyn goal resumed, and Ben Wynne had a shot deflected just wide. Then, on the half hour mark, the Silkmen doubled their lead. Jay Owen provided a fine assist with a well judged lob which found the head of Forde, who in turn sent an excellent looping header into the corner of the goal from 16 yards.
An inswinging corner by Jake Phillips almost paid dividends on 37 minutes, The wind assisted delivery was heading in, until Lawlor managed to get across his goal and paw it over the bar.
In the last minute of regulation time in the half, Anthony Stephens met another corner delivery with a powerful header that was heading inside the far post. Forde, came in and made completely sure by touching the ball over the line.
A comfortable 3-0 half time lead had Lee Fowler’s side in good shape, and the only question was whether Prestatyn would be able to use the wind to their advantage and try and mount a comeback.
However, the answer to that was an emphatic no, as Flint continued to dominate proceedings in the second half. The strength of the wind also seemed to dip, as the luckless Seasiders struggled to get a foothold in the game.
On 52 minutes, a good passage of play by the visitors carved open the home defence, and Jones was through, only to hit a rising shot just over.
But five minutes later, Ben Wynne produced a quality defence splitting ball to find Reeves, who hared in on goal, before hitting a low shot beyond Lawlor to make it 4-0.
Flint were then content to keep possession and just keep probing any weaknesses in the Prestatyn rearguard, who in turn embarked on damage limitation, and tried to deny space to the visitors in the final third.
A final goal scoring opportunity fell to Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro, shortly after being introduced from the bench. Wynne was again the provider, but this time Lawlor produced a good save from close range to deny the Flint forward.
The only downside on a dominant display being a couple of injuries sustained to Jay Owen and Ben Wynne, which could rule them out for some of our remaining games.
Overall, though a very satisfying result and performance to take forward into Tuesday night when we travel to near neighbours Mold for our next game in the League run in.

Report by Nigel Sheen

Line Ups :
Prestatyn Town – J. Lawlor, M. Pleavin, J. Cooper (I. Hall 65), A. Jones, C. Whelan, K. Jones, A. Williams, W. McKinley, T. Weir, T. Joyce (c), M. Taylor
Flint Town United – R. Williams, J. Phillips, S. Forde, A. Stephens, L. Sirrell, B. Hughes (M. Roberts 83), L. Lacey (M. Burke 68), J. Owen (c) (D. Harrison 46), E. Reeves (J-L Akpa-Akpro 68), B. Wynne (G. Maire 83), J. Jones. Unused Subs – L. Murphy (GK), J. Williams

Flint MOM – Sol Forde (made big contributions at both ends of the pitch)